17 July 2008

The road...

I was looking in my mirror this morning and I saw a lot more gray and a lot more tan. The gray was in my hair and beard and the tan was on the top of my head where their is no gray or hair.

I went out to my office which overlooks the road down the middle of camp and saw a number of staffers who were Sherwood campers (4th - 6th graders), not so long ago. I then began to ponder how many people have come through this place in the last 16 years since I have been here and began to miss them very much. Some of these people have been very significant to the philosophy of ministry here. I still talk to some of them and type to others. Others I run into periodically as they drop off their beautiful sons and daughters for their week of camp (some are coming to their second year of highschool camp, for mercy sake!)

I am having conversations with people who are now on staff who are about ready to jump into their careers and leave us. I am happy for them but I begin to feel the pains begin again. I am excited for them and wonder how many people have left this place that I haven't seen since - and begin to miss them already. I remember being a teacher and feeling the same thing.

Each of us have been given time and space from God and I am very honored that I get to be a part, no matter how much, of many people's and cannot not feel sad but honored. And can see how they have influenced my space as they spent time with me...

5 comments:

Cory PiƱa said...

*That* is a good looking beard.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean Tony. Sometimes I'm sick of making new friends and just want to keep my old ones, the ones scattered in places like Seattle, Austin, Boulder, California and Kenya...

andy.meyers said...

But isn't it great when you do see those people down the road...say July 28-Aug 2? I will see you soon my friend.

Pastor Brian said...

God has put you in a very enviable place. Those continual reminders of how our lives touch others' is one of those painful blessings that most of us don't notice very often.
By the way, that picture is now my computer's wallpaper.

e lemme said...

God bless you, Tony. Prayers for you.