23 February 2006

The post office and the Kingdom...

There is something about knowing where the post office is (the understanding of life and the way of people) and the knowing where the Kingdom is. The Kingdom is more than the place of eternity, it is the place of now. What is God doing now? Where is the Lover at work now?

WWJD (What Would Jesus Do) is not the question, WIGD (What Is God Doing) is. The first denies that the Creator is present and participating in the now. This paradigm opens up a huge issue of it is about me trying to figure out what God would want from me, and worst we limit the conversation to what college we should go to and which job we feel called to, etc. We attend "worship services" instead of worshipping in Spirit and Truth because it doesn't matter, "I am just putting in my time." My wife would divorce me (with good cause) if I treated her like we treat God as if she doesn't exist. (I was talking about my wife being a she, I was not trying to feminize God)

What is worse than a pastor who does not know the difference between the Kingdom and the Post Office is a congregation that continually follows someone only because his/her resume is strong or he/she can speak well and keep it under 20 minutes. The congregation sets the bar low and accepts those who are pleasant to listen to and doesn't ask much of them.

We are saved by grace for what purpose? The blood of Christ was shed from what purpose? Sin redemption? For what purpose. So we can get into heaven? For what purpose. People don't like "christians" on earth will we be more likable in heaven? I don't think so.

I got to go mail a package...

4 comments:

Tyler said...

This is a wonderful and brilliant post. Thanks for stating this, Tony. I've shared similar thoughts for years, but it still is a radical shift for me to seek what God is doing now rather than what would Jesus do is a certain situation. I think you hit the nail on the head that seeking what God is doing assumes that God is actually acting. The other option may not.

http://spacebetween.blogsome.com/

TonyB said...

I don't want anyone to think that I am down on pastors. Most of my friends are pastors, or at least they were my friends...

TonyB said...

See above comment...

Samer Farhat said...

I appreciate the wisdom Tony. I got here through Rudy's blog and I'll be back!