09 January 2008

The mirror...

A while back I bought my wife this mirror that has two sides. One regular and the other side is magnified. The magnified side is a bit distorted so that it magnifies but also it makes me look skinnier. I like this mirror. I now use it to brush my beard and mustache. I don't have much hair, but i like how it makes me look. Sure it shows the gray in my hair and beard but I am alright with gray as long as it stays in my head.

I tend to judge myself on this mirror rather than the one behind it that shows everything. This only shows a distorted portion of me but it makes me look better. I think I have done the same thing with my theology. I have embraced that which doesn't necessarily reveal the truth. Last year I went through the Sermon in Matthew 5-8 and found that that which I embrace is not that which Jesus embraced. He says this very clearly at the end of chapter 5 a rhythm of. "You have heard that it was said,... but I say to you..." My friend Tedd Lyons and I were meeting for coffee yesterday and he said that good reformed theology is not our interpretation but Jesus' interpretation. It is not what we think it says, it must be what Jesus says it says.

I need to listen to what Jesus interprets my life to be. Because He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life.

No comments: