06 November 2003

Another response...

(again read Mark's response before reading this blog)
I agree, we squabble over doctrines, but that is what we spend most of our time talking about at camps. We call it the basics. Would we talk that way when it comes to dating. Do we have doctrines of romance? Maybe we do and that is why the Divorce rate is so high. We should approach God the same as we would approach that cute little brown haired girl we had our eye on in high school. It is alright to be a little goofy in our pursuit of God. We haven't been, we have been incredibly stiff and intellectual. We lead with our minds and deny our spirits. Unless that girl is a geek (and I have all due respects for geeks, we are using the vehicle design, created and maintain by my geek friends) she will run. There has to be passion, there has to be abandonment in love. Picnics on a rainy afternoon - that is the kind of love God wants from us. Like a child. Like a lover.

Why not speak in tongues? Doctrine. Why not let the junior highers meet in the sanctuary? Doctrine. We have created a monument that doesn't allow us to have fun in let alone worship in. First teach love then become practical. Do that for a week at Camp. I am NOT saying don't take God seriously, I think we don't take Him serious enough. Which is why we would want to have our eyes on Him totally not only on our doctrines.

We forget that the best part of camp is the ride up to camp. Anticipation, what is going to happen, who will we meet, will I change, is she going to be there... But the sweetest is the ride home. We have stories to tell. The worst part of camp is not fitting in. Not aligning with others. What if for a week we didn't worry about doctrine but gave in to experiencing. Just a week. Allow the camper to experience God in the Spirit and each other and their stories. Give room for questions and really struggle with answers.

When we easily come up with the "right" answers I am wondering if we ourselves really believe it if it has only been taught to us or better if we have truely (I use that word purposefully) experience the answer. I don't want to debate issues with a camper anymore, but let them talk to Jesus and ask Him what He thinks. And then give them some room to hear the answer from Him. Experience it with them.

My wife and kids love to be surprised with me showing up when they didn't expect me to be there. They do keep an eye out in case I do. I want to live my life the same way with God and keep an eye out for His arrival and not feel like I got it all wrapped up, I want to be expectantly surprised each time He shows or speaks.

The question isn't about relevancy but truth. God's love is true. Jesus' death on the cross is true as is His resurrection. Can't we sit more, appreciate the stories, appreciate the insights of our brothers and sisters which may be a different facet of the same stone. Others may view a movie or a piece of art differently than we do, experiences cause us to react differently, but it is the same piece of art.

What separates us from other beliefs is Jesus. What should bring us together is Jesus. I am not talking about all roads lead to God and it doesn't matter what you believe. But what I am saying is we are passing on a belief without the Spirit who originated the experience. Maybe go back to rediscovering this man who says He's the messiah. Let Jesus reveal Himself to us and the camper. When He does show Himself, it is powerful. Amen.

No comments: