10 April 2004

Christel + Tony

28 years ago, this evening, Christel and I got married in a little church, Northminster Presbyterian Church, in Bakersfield, California. I met her two years earlier at Calvin Crest when her brother Phillip introduced us.

It was love at first sight and sound (at least for me). I was a lifeguard at the pool when she first arrived, WOW!!!!!!!!!! Yellow bikini (that's what she was wearing, not me... ). I had been badly sunburned the previous day so I was wrapped head to toe in a blanket. I was ready to jump in at moments notice, if needed - always on the alert!! She caught my eye and my heart. She snubbed me because of the bad press other lifeguards created in being only concerned about their bodies and looks and not much spiritual integrity. (I bet that would make a great PBS television series...)

After freetime, I quickly showered and got dressed and just happened to hang around where I thought she might be. And there she was. We reintroduced ourselves. She didn't recognize me without my blanket so I was able to start fresh. Linda Ronstadt was playing on the record player in someone's tent. I told her I loved LR. She thought I was making that up... I wasn't!!!

We didn't start anything right then but I was interested.

Then I heard her sing... OH! MY! GOD! If it was possible to be more attracted to how she sang than how she looked in the yellow bikini, I was. I heard her sing "Amazing Grace" like I never heard it sung before. Move over Linda Ronstadt!

Nothing took place that summer in terms of dating or such. I was on a sabbatical of such. Only one night stands - no long term commitments (I was a jerk!) I saw her again in the fall at Calvin Crest and interest renewed. I asked her and her brother to sing at a crafts fair I was in charge of in Monterey in November. She came, sang, and that was it, I WAS IN LOVE. Pursuing her was my intent... hers too. By new years we were a couple, April engaged, following April married.

I am amazed at the love Christel has demonstrated over the years. I am a jerk and she still has been faithful and trusting. I am self indulgent, she is self sacrificing.

She is still as attractive today that she was then, and her voice still turns me on. But it is her heart and soul that out shines all talents and biological formations.

I am blessed...

(I am sorry this isn't about camping, but actually it is. If it wasn't for Christel's belief in me, I would not be here today!)

No comments: