19 April 2004

How do we know we are successful...

A number of years ago, when I was a program director, I went around to a number of youth pastors and directors and ask them what were their goals for the coming year. They listed off a number of events (Bible studies, a couple of lock-ins, pizza bash, bbq, camp, houseboat trip on Shasta, winter retreats, ski weekend, and the obligatory Youth Sunday). I told them they didn't give me goals but events. They said that they were the goals to accomplish this year. I asked them at the end of the year how would they know they were successful? They said if they grew in numbers. I asked them what is a successful amount of people? They said more than they have now. I asked them how does Calvin Crest, the camp where I work, fit into their goals? They told me that they would be coming to camp and they wanted a good program. I asked them how would I know I had a "good program?" And they said if the kids like it.

I asked Scott Vance what his goals were, and he pulls out his wallet and slides out a small, laminated, card that had his goals written out. I asked him does his staff know these goals and he said each one had a card. Not one bulleted item was an event but a goal. A measurable goal.

He referred back to the card through out our conversation. I was impressed. I asked him what he would use our camp for. He said, the strategy of camping for him was developing relationships with his students, time to be in the Word, listen and respond to speakers who would challenge their thinking and deepen their faith and understanding on being a disciple of Jesus Christ, and to have a fun time away from the distractions and issues at home.

I liked talking to him. I could go back to the drawing board and keep those things in my mind as I planned the upcoming summer. I could measure my success by Scott's goals for the week at Calvin Crest. Some years I measured up and some I failed. But I always appreciated Scott's evaluations because they came out of his goals which I agree with and not just a nebulous goal like "more kids are coming"...

No comments: