29 November 2004

Defining ourselves...

I have been thinking about changing the name of this blog. When Rudy first told me about blogging I thought it would be a place of conversation between camp people. Come up with new ideas about camping in the emergent period of geoSpiritual formation. It really isn't that. It is only about my conversations with myself and a few others and I don't think camp people want to talk much to me. I don't think they know who I am. I find that sobering and freeing.

But I don't think I want to only be about camping. My wife and I were talking the other day about my funeral and what I wanted to wear. She asked if I was going to be in a suit or what. I said something that I could be eternally comfortable in like shorts and my crocs. She asked if I wanted to be buried in a Calvin Crest t-shirt and I thought about it for a while and said no, I don't want to be eternally identified solely (or is it SOULly?) on my employment with this camp. I want to be identified with the work that God is doing not what I did at a specific geographic location. I hope I am more than that (or is it less than that?).

Don't get me wrong. I love what I am doing and where I am doing it. But I don't want my life to be only about my work. Especially when I am a dad, a husband, a son, a brother, a friend, an enemy, a priest, a child, a chosen one... I hope I am more than a baby boomer, a white middle-class, voter, licenced driver, taxpayer, over 50, male, with back problems, bifocaled, crooked teeth, balding, piano playing, Japanese food loving, Van Morrison appreciating, polyester hating... kindof guy.

I was driving to work this morning remembering when Bob Dylan became a believer in Christ for his salvation. I was thrilled because it increased my value because I believed the same thing Bob Dylan believed. A few months later he redefined himself. I felt somehow as if I lost value. I cannot draw my value from anyone but He who calls me His.

Therefore I am going to rename this blog, just reimagining...

No comments: