14 June 2006

On the show today is Aretha...



In 1970, I was a sophomore in high school, Sanger High School, the Apaches, it was the last year I was in the marching band. Which meant that I was not able to get a date to the after football game dance because I had band hat hair and I couldn't sit with my date at the football game. And if you weren't a band chick NOBODY thought the band was cool. I wanted to be a rock n roller. But I played trombone and the Rolling Stones didn't have a trombone part in their band. But I was starting playing a guitar that I bought from Sears and Roebuck (I wonder what happened to Roebuck) and singing in the talent shows. I weighted in at about 95 pounds so I looked a lot like Mick Jagger. I still had a metabolism even though I was daily hanging out at the Dari-Delight, ordering a chili burger or a double cheese burger and chocolate milkshake (that was when they still used ice cream). But they kick me out because I drove in the parking lot once and drove out without stopping. But you see I realized I didn't have my wallet and needed to rush back to the Mr. People's yearbook room to get it. Where I was a photographer and a writer, well not really a writer more of an opinion columnist which I wrote one attacking the military industrial complex and Clovis Unified's dress code.

Two years later I would graduate at the top of my class, well maybe not the top of the class, well actually I freakin' passed by grace or maybe her name was Shirley... yeah that's it, Shirley Slusher, the woman who taught me something and gave me some self confidence, unlike a certain Spanish teacher named Augie ____. Okay, it is my responsibility to learn and not just be a hippie and work for George McGovern and protest the war in Viet Nam...

Sorry. I've got some issues I need to deal with...

Anyway, I sure loved Aretha.

1 comment:

Tyler said...

That chili burger didn't happen to come from Chuck Wagon, did it? Man, Mr. Peoples. He was still there when I attended Sanger High, though I think he passed away when I was a junior or senior. I never had him for a teacher, though; I was on the newspaper staff under his replacement, but I forget her name. I had dreams of being in a rock band in high school too, but opeining up for Pearl Jam, rather than playing with the Stones. Is it just being at Sanger High that engenders rock and roll dreams, or must you also be on the swim team?