14 February 2007

Act your age...

I was meeting the other day with an area director of a major international coffee establishment, who I have known for some time now. But this time there was something different about him. I couldn't put my finger on it until near the end of the conversation when I realized he had dyed his hair. He dyed his eyebrows, mustache, beard, and his head of hair. He dyed it a dark brown. He was always a brown-haired guy with a little gray, but this was different. The color seem to absorb the light as a black hole or should I say a brunette hole. (Are guys called brunette?) I didn't say a word. I looked into his eyes and stayed there. I wondered if those were the true color of his eyes or did he have on contacts.

It caused me to contemplate, should I have said something to him, was he waiting for me to speak out that I noticed, should I have said anything or just pretended that I didn't notice. I don't care if he dyed his hair or not. It is none of my business. But when my wife and I are out and she sees a friend, who dyed her hair, she always comments to her about the new color or whatever. I check out of the conversation and begin wondering where we are going to eat. Should I be doing the same to my friends, who are turning gray and deciding to cover it?

I then look in the mirror and see a lot more gray in my hair and beard and even some on my chest. Are people expecting me to cover it? I don't think I ever will because I don't have much hair in the first place and I don't mind the color. It is a matter of nature, isn't it. I don't want to change the course of nature. Besides if I did dye it I wouldn't know which color to dye it to.

I had a fourth grade teacher back in 1964 who dyed her hair purple. (I would not let her on staff if she did that today - we have policies against that kind of behavior) My friend, Hannah's mom dyed her hair the color henna, which confused me because I thought she was saying Hannah. My dad never colored his hair, he just started "biccing it". We called it the Yul Brenner look back then. (Yul Brenner was an actor, was the king in The King and I. I heard they are going to remake that movie with Justin Timberlake as the king.)

In the older days, aristocracy wore powdered wigs, I wonder if that will ever come back into style? I have a friend who tried to wear a toupee once but no one could keep from snickering when we saw him. He put it away and never wore it again.

I overheard a conversation once between two women and one of them said she was praying about what color to dye her hair...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"If your hair causes you to sin, bic it off, or dye it according to the will of God. For it is better for a man to lose his hair, or a woman to change her color, than for the whole of a person to be cast into hell."
- Tony 2:14

TonyB said...

Amen, Liz, amen...

Geoff said...

welcome back to the blogosphere. dinner was great.

Janice said...

Could there be the reverse? After all I would like to find a way to look older. Perhaps, I should try the salt and pepper look. I could look at least ten years older and I'm just a bottle of coloring away...

Amy said...

you're hilarious! i always have that trouble too, but more with people's weight....is it polite or rude to ask if someone has lost weight? what's the etiquette on that? i'm glad your back to blogging...you were missed!

Dakota House said...

Okay that was very funny... but, um... Justin Timberlake? No.

"etCETera, etCETera, etCEtera."