16 February 2007

Wow, that was close...

I was almost killed today. It was just a matter of inches.

I was stopped at a major intersection in Fresno, California, when a truck came speeding into the intersection at 35 miles per freakin' hours and missed the front of my car by 36 inches. It was so close that if I was sticking over the line by half a car length he would have hit me. Or if I would have done what the voice inside my head was telling me, "just run the light and get to Starbucks before someone else," I would have been smashed to smithereens. Then as I took off when the light changed another truck would have destroyed my car if it didn't stop at the intersection because the light conveniently changed on her side to red, at the same time the light on my side changed to green. What a coincidence. God was watching out for me.

As I was driving down the street, which will remain nameless to protect those who drive on the same street, another car drove within a foot of my car driving 50 miles per hour in the same direction. The only thing separating us was some paint that came out of some truck that got sprayed on the road. How fortunate that the paint was there. Some guy must have done that. This is amazing, all of this happening within minutes of each other. I could go on and on about the parking lot and everyone doing some amazing driving and parking in a formation that those in synchronize swimming and marching band would have loved. How did that happen?

I was thinking about how hard my life is these days. Having to take out the garbage, every stinking Thursday, all the way out to the street so that a truck can come by and dispose of it 25 miles from my house. Then I have to take the garbage cans all the way back to my house. Hello?

The night before Valentines Day, I made this incredible steak dinner with artichokes and a thai pasta salad and a glass of very nice wine from the Paso Robles area vineyards. But then I had to clean up the dishes, glasses, forks and knives, pots and pans, cooking utensils, and put the cork back in the wine bottle. That was a lot of work. What a rotten life I have that I have to work so hard.

I am panicking a bit because daylight savings begins soon and then I have to turn back all of the clocks and make sure the batteries get replaced in my smoke detectors and thermostat. This is tough and very demanding.

I had to wait in a drive-up window line for 10 minutes to get a triple, grande, half-caf, breve, low foam, extra hot, upside down, sweetened with sweet n low, carmel macchiato in a "drink here" cup with room for extra cream and a double chocolate cupcake. Then I had to show my driver's licence to prove that I was who my credit card said I was who I was. Whatever happened to the days when they trusted us and a cup of coffee costed two bits? People these days really stress me out!

This afternoon, I am going to have an interview with a young woman in Australia via iChat. I will have to go back to Starbucks and use their internet to talk to her. I wish someone would make it easier. I feel like I am living during the depression or something...

3 comments:

on the Rock said...

:)
Even easy isn't so easy sometimes either...

Geoff said...

Im glad you are still here with us. At least I got to tell you that I loved you ;-)

Erin said...

I think it's fall back, spring forward... hope you liked the steak. Your life sounds really rough.