12 March 2007

Why not a revolution...

The house next door is for sale. The neighbors put a sign in front to indicate what is going on. It said, "For Sale." No one asked the owners shouldn't they give this house another try. No one asked, what about the tradition of them living in the house, the neighborhood, this county. No one. No one said the sign is too stark and had communist overtones in the colors: red, black and white. No, people started bidding.

I am not calling for a revolution, I think we are smack-dab in the middle of it. I just want to put the sign out front. It is not about the American church, it is about being Jesus. This is not revival, it is code blue and it needs to be resurrection. I don't think we are to start up a revolution, it has been going on since Christ was born, crucified, and resurrected.

The life we live must be thought as revolutionary and not mainstream. Even in a "christian society" we must think this way. There is a difference between the values of the Kingdom and a life of faith. There aren't any holes in the hands of values. This Kingdom life is lived with holes in our hands, for we are crucified with Christ.

Jesus entered into a religious society as well as a society under dominance by the Romans. Both groups were suspicious of Jesus. Both groups plotted. Throw in a new group, the Subversives. They didn't plot they hoped that Jesus was one of them. A new subversive. The Iscariot thought he was the new Reformer, the latest of the Maccabees. Jesus identified the poor, outcast, sick and others who fit into the proletariat of the times, as those having a place in the new Kingdom. The time was ripe for an overthrow. People were tired, the poor increasing, taxes were too much and getting worse, gas prices were at $3.00 or more.

As Jesus enters the city, people were shouting out Hail Messiah, those in power tell him to quiet your people. He said, "I tell you, if these become silent, the stones will cry out!" The revolution is more than people, it involves nature. The people are fickle, a week later they are shouting out, "Give us Barrabus!" When people found out it wasn't about the overthrow, they left, they left big. Judas pushed, Jesus died.

Our prayer, "Thy Kingdom come, Thy Will be done on Earth as it is in heaven..." is a radical cry. Just start asking for The Will in your life and live it for a week. It is not a prayer for God to make The Will happen, it is ours to live according to The Will. That is FAITH, radical faith. Whole in the hand faith.

Jesus' revolution happens in the heart and knees which will have impact in the marketplace and the streets, bedrooms and boardrooms, pulpits and preschools, hospitals and concerts halls.

When Jesus tells us to repent, turn or revolve in a new direction. Align yourself with the direction of the Kingdom. When we are not aligned with the Kingdom, there needs a revolution, a revolving.

Am I starting to make sense?

More to come...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to miss O Week.

Unknown said...

um... rod stewart is coming to the save mart center on march 28th. i'm pretty sure he'll be playing his rock music.

TonyB said...

Have I told you lately that I love you?

Bill Ekhardt said...

I appreciate hearing you flesh this out. I appreciate both what you describe this to be, and what you describe it not to be.

Some thoughts that your post bring to mind.... Jesus was absolutely revolutionary. His methods though seem to repeatedly walk away from what we expect revolutions to look like. As you note, those who wanted someone to lead the mob were disappointed. When the disenfranchised gathered, he didn't inspire them against the powerful, rather he preached his harshest sermons to them.

When Pilate confronted Jesus, Jesus displayed how confusingly different his revolution was.

Anonymous said...

Have I become a soul so numb all too familiar
Words of gold have all grown cold over and over
I need to see You in the sunrise

Time takes it's toll on us
And it tries it's best just to steal our love
But we bend and we break and we don't give up
But time takes it's toll on us

From the start You took my heart
And changed it into something more
Beautiful... Your beautiful
So why does it have to be so hard
To see you in the sunrise

By Bebo Norman

I thought I needed a revival. I thought I needed to "go back to the love I knew at first." I think inpart I do; however , reading this makes me realize I need to turn around, revolve ina new direction... I need a revolution. I am not alligned with the Kingdom. How? Does Affordable Auto do soul allignment?

-d

Anonymous said...

does the revolution ever end?

at what point do we stop "turing around" and walk straight? is it possible for us to make progress?

TonyB said...

It depends on your definition of progress.

Realignment is a part of the journey. It isn't like Mother May I, having to go back to the line (although, sometimes you do).

Prayer is a constant aligniator.

James said...

That's a good question. I'm convinced that the Bible's imperatives are really promises that tell us where God is taking us rather than instructions on how to behave. That how I interpret passages that include verses like Philippians 1:6. Or, you know, how does Philippians 2:3 happen? By going to 2:13.

How do we progress? I think it's like being self-actualized. But our identity turns into His. For me, it's slow. And long. But it's ok. It helps me realize I'll never get over needing to be saved...