29 August 2003

ReImagining Camp

I use to view camping as an end unto itself. Our program, our staff, our goals, etc. Today I don't think the same. (I don't think the same as I did two years ago in anything!)

I am thinking about this property as a facility to facilitate that which is going on in the body of Christ. Not just organized religious groups, denominational or non-denoms, but parachurch, neighborhood ministries, Christian sport teams, environmentally aware and concerned groups, etc. What do they need that we can facilitate their ministries. More than a hotel/motel, but a place of spiritual sensitivity, gastronomical excellence, astronomical visibility (there is healing in seeing the stars), and places to walk and talk, just to name a few. What do we do with our land? How do we use it to add to the lives of ministry taking place in the urban and rural areas that surround us.

My friend Shari Wiedenhoeffer and I are talking about secondary virginity camps, leadership camp for Hispanic rural youth groups, teen mom camps, etc. Not Calvin Crest's program but using who we are, who I am, to be a resource to the lives of those others are called to.

I don't just want to be a guest group camp (come and use our facilities) but how can we partner with our guest to provide a place and an environment (spiritual, culturally, mountainly, etc) where God can speak and touch them in real time. Our resources - people, finances, facilities, etc all need to be geared to this.

I am beginning to think about this and hopefully will use this blog as a place of discussion for people in camping or other ministries that are open to the conversation...

Or we can talk about the monument of the Ten Commandments in Alabama. No, I rather talk about what is in our hearts, rather than what is in our lobbies. Peace

No comments: