19 August 2003

Vacation...

As summer ends, I am asking God to confirm in my spirit if it is time to leave Calvin Crest or commit to another 4 years. I believe He is doing something new here and it is different than before. I know whenever one starts a new endeavor there has to be the right and enough resources. Am I equipped to do that which God is building. "Count the cost before the building," God tells us.

Relationship building is high on the priority of this new work. Building new relationships with the staff, building new relationships with ministries to bring their kids to the mountains, and building new relationships with men and women who can support the ministry. That is what I feel like I am being drawn into.

The program must change from entertaining to equipping. Not just pinecone fires of commitment but talks of equipment by the Spirit. If 1 out of 2 families are splitting up, who is equipping the youth to make proper decisions with skill and understanding to lead the Kingdom. We are no longer teaching Kingdom ways but selling a product and going on to the next unsaved person. Jesus calls us to make disciples not just converts. Our camps must be places of instruction of Kingdom principles. Principles of power and authority, humility and care, love and grace, endurance and hope.

We keep telling kids to do more and try harder, but never to listen to God's instructions and be obedient to what He is telling us to do. When I ask people to listen for God's voice, they look at me with a blank expression and ask, "God speaks?" The youth pastors get mad because I am telling the kids stuff that they haven't. And they haven't because they don't believe He does either. What is it we are teaching? Why would we leave out the power of the Gospel. God's kingdom is here and it does have a communication system.

We need to equip people to hear God's voice. We are God's prophets and must know and respond to His voice. I run into too many who would say they don't know God's voice and do not believe He speak to us. The Good Shepherd cannot lead if His sheep do not hear His voice. The sheep will turn to their own understanding. Vision statements are written without the eyes on God. Sermons given without hearing what God wants to say. How can our work and words be His if we don't hear Him? We hope that we are doing it right and will find out at the Throne, will we get "well done" or "I guess you did your best"? Obedience comes from hearing, therefore we must hear from Him.

I cannot do another summer unless He tells me what to do. What is the theme, not just for the t-shirt but for the word and work He is going to do in the lives of these 80+ people. For me to just do what I think is right may end up good but not God. At this time I am supposed to spend more time with Calvin Crest and its ministry and not be involved in any other ministry. I am finding my value is from others telling me they need me and not from being obedient to where God has put me. My family got the worst part of my life, the left over. For that I am deeply regretful. I am definitely crispy on the edges from doing too much and accomplishing too little. I want to be focused on what God wants me to look at and turn away from all else.

Well enough for now, vacation is over...

No comments: