23 January 2004

The gig...

As I said the other day, I visited my old friend Levi "LT" Huffman last night in Lodi. It was great to catch up on each other's live for the past 20 years. Hearing the stories that shaped, grinded away, added pounds, lost hair, diminished eyesight, and gave a sparkle to our smile and made us who we are today. It was a redemptive story. Then I went with him as he performed, at his usual spot, for about an hour.

When we walked in I could tell he was loved here. Like "Cheers" everyone knew his name. He introduced me as his friend from college. I was immediately accepted into the fold. People wanted me to sit with them and share my life with them. The bartender asked, with a smile, what I would I like to drink tonight as if I was a usual. "Anyfriend of Levi's is a friend of mine." Then I listened to him play. His own songs were incredible. His cover songs of James Taylor were also wonderfully done.

I wanted everyone to shut up and just listen but I found their talking added to the music of the night. His girlfriend and her mom and dad came in to meet me and listen. Everyone knew them as well. I like it.

I felt like I was at a small church. Everyone knew each other and their stories. Levi, the pastor, knew their rhythm and they liked his. He was called to this place and these people. Others he knew were playing the big gigs with a lot more people in attendance. His picture was not up on many people's walls or t-shirts. Levi was in their hearts.

I am proud of him. He is playing his music where he has the gig. He is not waiting for "The Garden" to phone, he plays where he is called. And for this time and place is Lodi on Thursdays. It was good music and wonderful fellowship.

I wish some of my pastor friends would quit waiting for the mega-Church to call them and be faithful to where they have been called. People need to be led - 10 or 10,000 - they still need to be led by someone wanting to love them. Them.

It is good to have my brother back.

No comments: