19 January 2004

What a week...

This was one of those weeks. Joys and blessings, heartbreaks and sadness, clarity and confusion... What a week.

I turned 50 on the 12th. We invited some friends from church, camp, and life to celebrate it with us at the local Schzewan restaurant. It was very much a blessing to be with these wonderful people. I am blessed.

Two letters telling me I have let them down caused me to want to drink again. But I didn't, I spent a lot of time talking with Christel, who always seem to put it in its proper perspective. I am blessed.

A short conversation with my friend Scott Falk and a long conversation with Cosby about the kingdom and being friends made me feel good about who is around me. Plus good fish tacos... It's a wonderful life. I am blessed.

Then last night I attended a wedding of two of the people I wish I knew better - Jackie and Christian. My friend George Freeman is officiating. I started to think how did he get to do that? How did he have a part of these two when they are at Summit Adventure in Bass Lake and He lives in Fresno.

He has influence in many people's lives. He has accomplished it without power, position, or wealth. He is a vice principal at a christian K-8 school in Fresno. How did he do it?

With love. He truly pastored. He made himself available to people that God brought to him. He listened and prayed with people. His prayers equipped them, released them, and always revealed Jesus' heart for them.

He is a pastor. He is not certified by institution but he is one. His influence doesn't come from a business card or a sign out front of a building, but by word of mouth. He is rarely publicly acknowledged but through the conversations of concern for a loved one, his name is mentioned. A phone call is made and George comes over. Sometimes with his wife Cindy, sometimes alone - but he is faithful to come.

That is what a pastor does. I wish I knew more.

No comments: