13 March 2004

The blog as a camp tool...

In the conversation generated by "I thought I should post this since I don't have..." many brought up, ok it was Sean and I, about the place the blog would have in a camp setting. It is taking the place of real conversation - face to face, so that you don't know what someone is truly thinking until you read about them in your blog. This cannot be righteous.

So what is a blogger to do? There is so much pressure on us to keep up a blog that maybe we can't waste our thought and opinions in real time because the only one to hear it is the one in front of us and they are probably not paying attention anyway because they are thinking of what they are going to blog later about that person...

I know my daughter is still in conversations with people she met at camp many years ago. Emailing back and forth, IMing, text messaging... In my day we would be pen pals. Now it is instant. Eliacin from Puerto Rico can be a part of a conversation with many people from like Marco at Boundary Waters Experience in Minnesota, Sean Oldroyd, a chef at Calvin Crest Conferences near Yosemite, Billy E, a pastor in Texas to an African American Presbyterian congregation, James, a student in Fresno, Timbo, another student in Biola, Rudy, a busy person... all interested in what he has to say without licking a stamp.

The blog can be an incredible follow up tool as was shared. It could continue a speaker or a counselor has with the new people they encountered (a 70's term) during the week or weekend at camp.

I just have a huge concern as does others that we would isolate ourselves.

I like being with you with even if I never get to see you.

No comments: