14 March 2004

Invited to instead of running from...

I heard a guy say this morning that he got tired of the protestant-evangelicals because they rarely stand for anything. It is more about what they are against than what they are for.

I tend to be against more than I am for these days. I am frustrated with the church but am not really doing much toward implementing change. I provide a ten-week experience that hopefully models my heart but for the rest of the year, I am lonely and painfully bored with meetings that perpetuate meetings that don't bring people together in unity and faith, but mediocrity and fear. Fear to be different, ...to question, ...to struggle, ...to miss anything, ...to believe.

I am thinking that maybe this summer will be a thesis of sorts as to what I truly believe the church should be. Try to actively participate in the questions of why gather and what should be done in the time of meeting. I won't call it church, that is confusing, but The Meeting. The body is still the body, but what do we do outside of the Meeting as a body instead of basing the body on The Meeting. We will look at our beliefs and program out from scripture and early documents what it means to gather as the body of disciples instead of just have meetings because it is what we do in a schedule.

I want it to have an effect on the daily practice so that a disciple would leave with the beginnings on how do I live as a disciple. Judge it by does it work in November. It will be sad if the only camaraderie is from the week instead of an ongoing gathering and conversations of the local community to strengthen the faith.

We are breeding shallow people. What would happened we didn't pay our commenting bill of $29.00 a year or a terrorist group attacked all the blog sites. To whom would we talk? Heaven forbid we meet someone at the Traditional service to share our hearts and listen to theirs. What will it take for us to see the Spirit that gave words in scripture so that we would live in step with Him rather than debate over the meanings.

I read blogs more than I read His word. I type more than listen to His Spirit. I bitch more than rejoice.

No comments: