09 January 2005

To the emergent...

I wake up every Sunday at 5:55am to watch my favorite television show, CBS Sunday Morning. I know, I know, "wake up to watch television?" But this is not just television, it is a class in the culture of the world today. This is what is going on outside of the 6:00 news. It has to do with art, music, dance, architecture, cinema, etc., but always about people. I love it.

This morning they had an article on the modern art museum in New York'’s Hudson Valley. The conversation between the journalist and the curator always seemed to come back to, "Is this really art or just a pile of junk?" And with a great smile on his face the curator just said that is the question and these artist answer it in their own way. And to the contemporary artist many feel that modern art is passe and now art takes form within a space not defined by the canvas but by the experience. I loved the art work and enjoyed the discussion.

It made me think of the conversation we find ourselves in constantly... "Is this worship?" Many answer it as the curator does. What defines worship? Is worship an artform or a precise form set out by The Worshipped and not the worshiper? Have we lost touch with that which pleases The Worshipped? I don't think only the worship of the past few decades pleased Him (or for those who are emergent Her/Him/It). We do a lot on our feelings instead of the Worshipped's feeling. What pleases The Worshipped is a true worshiper found in John 4:23, "Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks." I don't think it is stylistic or requires equipment or candles or whatever, but it does require a heart of worship. (An side story - I heard Matt Redman's Heart of Worship done with so much studio arrangement that it lost the entire message and much of his credibility.)

I have been leading people in worship for over twenty-five years and was just told by someone that I shouldn't be doing it now because her son isn't interested in coming to church unless there is someone his age leading. She also excluded a twenty something that leads periodically. I immediately thought we must get someone in here his age. Then, I thought what are we doing, I've seen this kid "lead" worship and all he did was play the songs and not bring us to worship. We are more concern to day about bringing people to church than we are about bring them to the throne.

I am all for using contemporary methods to bring our hearts into the throneroom of the Worshipped as long as the heart is engaged and not just the flesh. Is worship only in the liturgy of the 60 - 90's, I don't think so. I love the quietness that is arranged in some of today's liturgy but I wonder if when we give room for reflection have we taught what is to be reflected? I think we haven't taught the purpose of the liturgy to those and so they are lost. Instead of defining, we throw out.

I am tired of the discussion, I am ready for the action. What new charities, programs, businesses, clinics, etc. have been started by the emergent community? Let's begin telling stories of action instead of philosophy of deconstruction. What new things have been started by this emergent community other than worship services? Tell stories, I would love to hear them. I know Steve Hart started a church that reaches out to a disregarded people in Spokane, the Cosbys are training up young people in a program THEY started at Calvin Crest. What else? What are people doing with their $100,000.00+ educations they have gotten from private or public schools?

And...
One of my resolutions is for this year and for my life is to get rid of the foul language that has been erupting from my lips as of late. I heard someone say that what they like about me is that I wasn't afraid to cuss. I have been ruminating on that for the past few days, I have been hearing people I love break out with the f bombs and other "foul" language and thought, "that is what they like about me?" I hope they would like me for my heart, mind, spirit, and words that would bring peace and instructions, instead of words that should never be used around my mother or my wife.

Just some thoughts...


No comments: