10 February 2005

changing gears a bit...

As I find myself in the place to which I have come, I am finding the liturgy of the Traditional Catholic Church bringing a sense of solace and connection. I think that if culture would drive the worship instead of the continual reminders of Truth we may find ourselves unknowingly outside of what is true. And that is not to say that we could go through the function and never touch the form. I do not believe we should stay in the 1954 church but I am trying to find the Truth at Calvary, the Open Tomb, and the Power of the Upper Room in the services of today. A little ash on the forehead could still be just ash on the forehead unless the Spirit is evident in the Body as we remind ourselves of His Truth and Way. I don't think the tradition is the issue but rather the Body being open to the Spirit as He continually leads His people to do that which He desires for us to do and become today. I would just hate the debate in 20 years to be the same today as they look back on us and say that we don't want to be the church of 2005. I think we may be changing our "styles" to fit the culture instead of bringing the "culture and the power of the Kingdom" to this time.

I think an issue to go stronger to is What is He calling me to do down the street, in the classroom, on the job, around the dinner table, sitting in the dentist chair, buying a movie ticket, drinking a pint in the pub, comments on the blog, etc. than the style of worship. I find myself stalled because the my thinking and conversation tends to be around an hour on Sunday instead of the life of being a disciple. I want to be His to do with what He wants.

No comments: