05 February 2005

I don't mean to start an argument, but...

I hope I can better articulate my view here. I am not against any church program, I just question what it is doing to further the Kingdom of God. I don’t think being a christian is a bad thing, but I have a problem when I walk into a Bible book store and see “Christian” art, “Christian” books, “Christian” keychains, “Christian” dolls, “Christian” combs, “Christian” coffee“Christian” cookbooks, “Christian” newspapers, “Christian” backpacks, “Christian” eyeware, “Christian” pencils , “Christian” dolls of the apostles,… At what point does it become “Christian”? Does Billy Graham say a blessing over it like a rabbi would to make something kosher?

I question some of our programs that we put our children through. I wonder if many people put their children in “Christian” programs because it is an alternative to secular programs. There is nothing wrong with memorizing the Word of God, but do they know that it is the Word of God or something to do to get something. What is the end that we hope for in the means of doing something? We put our kids in so many programs – soccer, dance, gymnastics, debate teams, swim teams, sport camps, AP and college prep classes, AWANA, youth groups, YoungLife, Campus Life, Praise team, leadership teams, and other worth while activities. What is the purpose? Are we getting what we think we are getting? The average Christian that comes to a program, expects a syllabus type education not a move of the Spirit. The fruit at the end of a program should be something more than just another syllabus or t-shirt.

Sometimes it seems that the programs or “ministries” that the church provides are to keep the institution running not to provide access into the Kingdom. I just question what the criteria are to measure the success.

Now I know I will make some mad with this but it needs to be said. I don’t we are equipping our children very well. We are not teaching them humility, responsibility, charity, kindness, appreciation of creation, hospitality, respect, how to survive a loss, etc. We are spoiling our kids with some of the programs we put them in. We are educating the hell out of them. They don’t know how to sit and be patient. We give them time outs but not what to do when they have time IN. They are not disciplined to wait on the Lord. Faith has as much depth as a votive candle. Commitment is until something else comes along. They are not ready to start on the bottom.

We send to “Christian” daycare, “Christian” elementary and high schools, “Christian” colleges, “Christian” camps, “Christian” mission trips, “Christian” conferences, expecting that they will be better “Christians” but they don’t know how to work with a non-Christian boss, work a full schedule, articulate their faith without using “Christian” buzz words. I am not saying that we shouldn’t have those things but I don’t think we are getting what we think we are getting. These are not necessarily producing the fruit of the Spirit but more of the flesh. I have heard people pridefully talk about their mission trips that sounded more like the “Christian” Hilton sisters.

I am not that impressed when someone goes on “mission trips” but doesn’t reach out to those who are outcast in their schools, neighborhoods, or cities. What experiences are we giving our students? Are they discipled or just given experiences? Sarcasm and gossip, sexual promiscuity, drinking are as rampant in “Christian” circles as they are in secular ones.

So let’s start dealing with the problems. Re-evaluate programs. Check criteria to see if it has been replaced by an agenda of power and control. Stop having meetings if nothing is accomplished and evaluate the “accomplishment.”

I spent a day at a meeting where nothing was done that would have eternal, less alone temporal significance. On the way home I was nearly in a car accident. If the driver of my car wasn’t so sharp, I am sure I would have been dead. Then I started thinking how did I spend the day? What a waste of 8 hours. Then I got mad. I don’t stay in or call meetings unless the objectives are clear and measured. Or the coffee and bearclaws better be good…

I am not just complaining, I am about to do something...

No comments: