03 February 2005

In response to the previous comments...

As far as I can see seminary only tells you what happened, a historical perspective of God - Theology, but rarely have I seen someone come out with an understanding of what the Spirit is doing today. That is not meant to put anyone down, but I would caution anyone to think that only an seminary education will direct them to the ways of the Spirit of today. Eric, the churches are not equipped anymore with the thinking that they are the first line of protection. This is because they have been ill-equipped in the way of the Spirit and aren't aware of their gifts, and I think it is because of the kind of training people get in seminary. Very rarely do I see someone come out with humility and a submissive heart to the Spirit. They are more equipped to run a session meeting than listen for the voice of Him. I am afraid that we are training people to only be in the life of the church but not the spiritual life of the Kingdom. We call people to be involved in the things of the church - AWANA, child care workers, choir, deacons, elders, parking lot ushers, maintenances, sunday school teachers, praise band, chair setteruppers, coffee & cookie makers, Stephen Ministries, Crown Ministries, personnel committee, worship committee, finance committee, mission committee, prayer committee (?), pastor seeking and nominating committee, BUT rarely do we equip people to listen to God speak to them through His spirit, cast out demons, heal the sick, teach with boldness, discern the spirits, OR how to be faithfully living a life in relationship with Him. We teach people that they are in a relationship to a church body.

I am sorry Bill and Eric, but I cannot agree with you. Seminary is not a bad place and you get a great understanding of scripture, the languages, the structure of the church government, some counseling, liturgy and other aspects of Sunday Activities. I just don't think the rest of the week is covered very well. And it is the rest of the week where the rest of us live.

I know that it seems like I am picking a fight but what I would really want said about me was that I am calling for more from us in leadership. Even though names were called out it is not meant to be directed at anyone personally. My best friends are pastors, my pastor is a pastor, I drive by pastures...

No comments: