19 October 2007

This isn't what I am talking about...

Painting by Benedictine Priest, John B Giuliani
This picture tells the story in the culture of the people. I don't think it is meant to be perverting anyone's view of Jesus' ethnicity. But rather to bring the story to the culture. Storytelling is one thing when it is in and of itself. To bring the story to a single people group using the same ethnicity is understandable but to continue to create the story in a diverse culture as is ours to continue to eliminate the middle eastern characteristic, to me, seems to have an agenda attached to it.

This can get a bit carried away. There is an historical element to the time and space when Jesus came. There is an ethnicity that God purposely chose to enter the world into. He didn't decide to come in 2000 as a CEO on Wall Street. But today Jesus is chinese, korean, hopi, italian, german, chilean, etc. because we are the Body of Christ.

I think my concern is that I would hate to think of a culture during the 80's depicting Jesus in polyester Angel Flights and permed hair...

3 comments:

Eric said...

Not even neon legwarmers and collarless sweaters?
Truly though, well thought and well spoken on your behalf. Thank you

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate this post Tony. I think you make very meaningful points.

Deadmanshonda said...

Nice....very nice.

You do make meaningful points in a very witty way.

Check this out: www.zeitgeistmovie.com

Creative. And def an agenda.