20 June 2004

Great sex...

I went to my daughter's dance recital yesterday that lasted from 2:00p to 6:30p. Of course we left after she was finished but we were there for a long time and saw many acts. Ages ranged from little-littles to women in their young 50s. It was great to see the women my age getting on stage and dancing as a form of keeping healthy and in shape. They were delightful. I loved watching them.

I was greatly disturbed in my spirit watching the young girls and women dance with a bit of provocativeness. I have been to dance performances since I was in high school and I took a jazz dance class with my friend, Huff. I have been to recitals for both of my daughters over the past 10 years. I have seen Twila Tharp and other profession troupes. My wife danced, my friends in college danced... So I am not new to this.

It was not the costumes that were provocative though some were a bit, I am not even sure it was the moves and gestures even though I don't think a 6 year old should be shaking something that hasn't budded yet. But it was something in the eyes. More than a look, it was behind the eyes. A lost innocence.

I started thinking, as a participant in the sexual revolution I don't think sex got better because we are less inhibited now. I don't think it is better because we are free-er to express ourselves in any clothing that we want. I don't think we have gotten better by being free-er to express ourselves by whatever means we want and show whatever we want. It is no more sexually exciting to see some girl's thong showing above her pant line than seeing a plumber's crack rising above his.



I think we need to teach our kids about great sex. Great sex begins with intimacy, not with public indecency. Great sex comes with trust for tomorrow not relief right now. I don't think we are teaching our children anything deep and sacred by having them flaunt their bodies today. We need to begin teaching children about great sex by teaching them about their hearts, minds, and bodies. Their minds and spirits are underdeveloped, and their bodies are overexaggerated.

We condemn pedophiles but yet when I look at these performances of these children aren't we lowering our morals to theirs? They will no longer be perverts if their behavior is not perverting the behavior of the norm. If mothers and fathers don't care, who will.

This society lacks class. People talk in movies, smack their children in the grocery store, girls burp, guys oogle, if I see another television show where some guy is talking to another guy while he is using the bathroom I will scream.

It is more acceptable to say the F word, than to say the name of the Savior. I am not impressed with the evolution of this society. I am not calling for the government to do something, I am not asking for the schools to teach something, I think we need to begin with ourselves. We are to blame and "we are the ones we have been waiting for..."

No comments: