30 December 2006

B.B. King and Oakland...

As I said, Simon took me, December 28, to The Paramount Theatre in Oakland, California to see B.B. King. Seven rows from the stage, Simon and I got there a little early to get the rhythm of the place. Many were dressed to the nines with fedora hat and gloves, top coats, expensive shoes, not a lot of bling but there was a lot of class. This was not just a concert, this was B.B. King, who is 81 years old, coming by the house. These were his people who have been following him for many years.

Simon asked the woman sitting next to, wearing red - hat, gloves, shoes, and coat, if she had ever seen B.B. before. She quietly said, "Why yes, I saw him back forty years ago at the Oakland gymnasium and we were sitting on the floor." Then he asked her if she had seen many concerts, and she said quietly, "I saw Sammie (Davis, jr), Nat (King Cole)..." and then she got so quiet Simon could barely hear the rest. She then said, "I saw Rev. King when he was doing revivals in Oakland."

Mavis Staples, one of the Staple Singers, started off the concert. She did a bunch of the family songs as well as some songs of faith. She put on a great show. Wonderful sense of humor and a great stage presence. When she sang, The Weight, I'll Take You There, and Respect Yourself, then house was very thankful.

B.B. played some great songs, Don't Answer the Door, Blues Man, Ain't That Just Like a Woman, When Love Comes to Town and a bunch of others. He talked a lot which was alright with me. His band was phenomenal, great musician in their own rights, they played a couple of numbers without B.B. in the beginning. Great blues and jazz. He is still going strong even if he did sit the entire time. He ended the show with "The Thrill is Gone" and shook some hands and left the stage (10 minutes later). What a show.

It was a great day with Simon as we drove together to Emeryville, Berkeley, and Oakland. Then home to Napa. Great conversations, great food. In the morning he put me on the train in Martinez and I rode it to Fresno. He is a smart man.

I am blessed...

No comments: