25 December 2006

A disciple of Jesus...

I was at the Christmas Eve service last night at Sierra Vista Presbyterian Church, which is the church where I belong. My membership is there, we tithe there, I am an elder there, my children went through youth group there, Christel and I led singing (worship?) for 8 years there, some of my best friendship were developed there. But that is not the reason I am a disciple of Jesus.

I sat last night and listened to The Story again. I love that story. I have been thinking about that story all of December. I spoke for Front Porch Ministries in San Luis Obispo the first week of December and began considering it on the first. The Story changed my life. It is simple. Not in Greek language but in a common language a shepherd could understand. Uneducateds can easily get the drift.

"Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be for all the people (including you shepherds); for today in the city of David there has been born for you (shepherds) a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger."

I am a shepherd. I have no business being where I am, except through The Revelation. I was a loser... uneducated, unmotivated, ADD, couldn't read or spell well, a love 'em and leave 'em kind of guy... a loser. A shepherd. (I am not casting any aspersions on my Basque friends!) This is more than grace, it is revolutionary. Ché Guevara type stuff (only non-violent). Ché wrote, "the true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love..." It was an act of revolutionary love.

In the 70's I was thinking that the way to real change was through politics and getting involved in changing government. I worked for George McGovern and his campaign for president. I saw some things that disillusioned me with him and others in the organization.

The revolution cannot come from just changing players, it takes a different system, values, ways,... heart. Shortly after that I started asking questions to friends and "the air" and didn't get many answers. Until one day... I heard The Voice. It clear, "Do not be afraid, I bring you good news..." "What must I do?" I asked. "Follow me." Quiet, confident. No sales pitch, no convincing. Truth.

I started reading the scriptures. I was thirsty and it quenched the long road of questions and gave me new questions. Deeper question. He starting showing me His way, His truth, and His life for me. I was not alone, His spirit was my comforter and counselor. But His ways were not my ways. I had to change my way to His.

I traded in some of His ways when I became an elder to be accepted in the meetings. I think I traded in some more of His ways last couple of years because I was depressed and frustrated. Many of my conservative views I thought were His ways but were not as I relooked at scriptures and saw what He said about the poor and loving my enemy. My ways were not lining up with His. It was more than being against a war but am I behaving like Christ behaved. Disciples should put away swords, pick up the cross, go the extra mile, give the coat as well as the shirt, turn the other cheek...

If I am going to be His disciple, I have better start following Him again...

No comments: