26 April 2007

An important day...

Today was a day long awaited. Scott Henderson, the new executive director of Calvin Crest, hired an arborist, one who works with trees, to come up and give us some advice on our grove of apple trees. She gave us detailed instructions on clearing out the dead branches, pruning, soil management, organic pesticides and fungicide. I know this doesn't sound like much but we have over 50 trees on the property that hasn't been cared for in many, many years.

I am very impressed with Scott's assessment of Calvin Crest and her staff, grounds, systems, and assets. Making that call to bring someone up here to give us valuable information showed that he cared a lot about the history and land, as well as trees to continue to make this camp a Godly place. Scott's concept of stewardship was on displayed today and was much appreciated by the staff.

Those of you who have fond memories of the life in the Apple Orchard will be excited to learn that we plan to make it an annual event in a year or so to have an apple festival or something similar as a family event. Stay tuned...

(The picture above is of Scott and his wife, Julie)

9 comments:

Dakota House said...

Love the apple orchard. Loving the apple festival idea. Love hearing you so encouraged.

As you might say: "Thinking about apple pie..."

Anonymous said...

This warms my heart.

Unknown said...

That is really exciting. I always wanted to do some pruning of the trees, but I have only been there at times when it would do more harm than good. Through college I worked on a farm and every year they had a harvest party. Pressing cider was the main in event. It was always a beautiful time, kids running barefoot in the grass, everyone getting a little messy with the cider press and an extra urgency to enjoy the warmth and sunlight as days get shorter and nights get chillier. That will be delightful.

Deadmanshonda said...

Oh this made my day. Wish I could give Scott a hug. And you too. ;)Looking forward to the fests...

Bill Ekhardt said...

I remember going up for apple picking and cider making when I was a kid. I definitely have fond memories of the apple trees. I'm glad to hear that you have more guidance about taking care of them.

Anonymous said...

Get the hydraulic press working again. I haven’t seen it run in 30 years.

Geoff said...

I got engaged in that orchard!

Anna said...

I love the apple orchard! Lots of memories there from my Sherwood years to AIM to eating lunch with Sherwooders there last summer. Some kind of annual apple festival is a great idea!

Anonymous said...

This is good news.