27 April 2007

Time to remember...

We heard yesterday that Dorothy Lyons, the wife of the first executive director Ted Lyons, passed away.

I have fond memories of Dorothy as she and Ted lived in the Ranch House, when I first came up in 1974 which was always open for conversation and maybe a little Armenian delicacies like basturma, lahmajoon, and baklava. It changed my life. She was the mom to many of us during the summer. She would have great concern for me as I pulled pranks and was a bit the rebel. But she always would find the time to talk and listen. I remember sitting in their living room watching television with them the day Nixon resigned. Dorothy was more than a wife of Ted's, she was a important quiet pillar in the history of Calvin Crest.

To Tedd, James, Diran, Candy, Jackie, and the rest of the Lyons family, thank you for sharing your mother and grandmother. Those were great years and her love and instructions helped shape me in many ways. We rise up and say with you,
"Many daughters have done nobly,
But you excel them all."
Psalms 31:29

1 comment:

Bill Ekhardt said...

My memories of Dorothy are sparse. I think I was about ten years old when I last saw her. I was in her home. She had a cairn terrier (Toto) like we had - or maybe it was a sky terrier.

I remember the fondness with which my parents related to her and her Ted. I am thankful for who she was and the ministry that came through her and her family.

I am sorry for the her loss, and thankful that she has gone home.