21 April 2007

Remember this...


An athletic, beautiful radical comes running down the isle of mediocrity, heaves a sledge hammer into the screen of propagandic diatribe disrupting the message and destroying the medium. Then the message comes on the screen introducing the new Macintosh. I remember when this ad for a new computer came out. "Wow. I gotta get me one of them," I thought. The commercial was shown during the Superbowl in 1984. A few months later, the guy that I was working with back then in a graphic design studio went out and bought one. It was revolutionary. Changed the way we thought in many ways. More than just a computer, it was a social statement, an artistic statement, a change for the commercials for the Superbowl (that is when the excitement for the commercial equaled the excitement for the game.), a cultural shift as well, and it wasn't a DOS computer.

We read George Orwell's '1984' in 1970 and wondered what it would be like in the future. Communism was a threat, would we be beaten by the Russians? Would we become so bureaucratic that we become numb to the beauty and outrageousness of nature and the glory of God that it mysteriously expresses? Would creature comfort replace adventure and wonder? Would technology define our existence? Would there be flying cars?

I love the Mac commercials today. Same thing message just a different package...


I need to add this one by request from my friend, Jordan...

1 comment:

Bill Ekhardt said...

That second one is really moving. I've really enjoyed all of their ads, though ironically as a devoted fan of their marketing, I haven't been persuaded to use or buy a mac. I am, though, pretty interested in that I-phone.