20 April 2007

Revolutionary thinking...

I am in a new accountability group. Our pastor put together a group of men for accountability and fellowship. We don't know each other yet which is interesting to be accountable to someone I don't know but I am encouraged by the caliber of people assembled. Accountability will take trust which takes time and wisdom.

Yesterday we 'lectio divina'd' the first half of Romans 12. I was impressed upon by the two verses,

Romans 12:1-2
"Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect."

If this isn't radical talk of revolution I don't know what is. "...mercies of God, ...living and holy sacrifice, ...spiritual service... do not be conformed... ...be transformed by the renewing of your mind so that you may prove what the will of God is...good, acceptable and perfect."

I don't see that as a one time event at a campfire on a Wednesday night and then going to church once a week. Allow the "mercies of God" to change the system of your life so that you would be a part of the new regime. His Regime. His plan. His way. His standard. His results.

I am then struck that it then goes on to talk about the body with different gifts. As part of my living sacrifice I am to fulfill the post He as assigned me to. I have been AWOL for a while in the place He has called me. I took some time off to rest and realize that I am not finding rest but inactivity. That is not the same thing. There are seasons of commitments but this is different. I am not showing up for duty. I have filled that call with self and that has brought nothing but confusion and anxiety. There is nothing more restful and joyful than being in His plan and service.

1 comment:

Deadmanshonda said...

Thank you for this. I thoroughly enjoyed it. :-)