23 December 2003

The gift of family and tamales...

I love this time of year. My son, Simon, comes home for the holidays and we are together again for a short time. We travel to my parents and have a wonderful meal full of laughter and calories.

Tonight my son came home from Pasadena with a bag full of tamales from Mama's Tamales. They are incredible. Tamales from different cultures - Mexico, Central and South America.

What a gift.

My children are growing up so fast. Hillary is 15, Taylor is 20 and Simon is 22. It was just yesterday that I was up all night before Christmas putting together bicycles and other toys. They are spending time at their girlfriend's and boyfriend's home during the holidays. We share them now. Life goes on further away from home than before. Other influences and opinions than mine. I am starting to be influenced by them now. They are shaping my imagination and outlook. I cannot hold on to my role as the "papa" (to be sung as if you were in the first five minutes of "Fiddler on the roof"). I still have responsibilities but there is something else going on that is equally important - respect. I was responsible for training them up in the way THEY should go and now it is up to them to walk in it. Not my ways but THEIRS. They are unique. God calls them by name, not through me any more. It is up to them - one on one with God. This is when it gets fun folks.

Peace.

No comments: