20 December 2003

New Friends...

There is a new director at Summit Adventures, Tom Smith. We are going to become friends. We met, had coffee, and decided to be open and honest with each other. A person we could go to and bounce off ideas and frustrations and spend time laughing.

A new friend...

I am turning 50, when my father was this age he seemed to lose his friends. There were his business associates, artist friends, customers who greatly respected him. But I never heard him talk of confidants. I surround myself with good people, better than me. I am blessed by the friends I have. I could have coffee everyday for a month with someone different. It gives me different perspectives.

Each one is different. Some are in their 20's and some in their 70's and in-between. Some ordained and not, senior pastors and youth pastors, some are plumbers, carpenters, dentists, teachers, executives, sales, students, and camp people. They all love Jesus, and are committed to the faith.

I find it interesting that they want to be with me. I am not trying to defecate on myself (or is it deprecate?) but I get calls.

I enjoy people, their stories and food. Maybe because I have these academic disabilities that I enjoy listening to stories instead of just reading about them. Sharing our time, ideas, dreams, and fears are very much needed today in the church and in business. Listening as well as being intimate brings life to others. It is essential. We desire to be heard, considered as valuable, know that there is a place in someone's life for us, someone will know when we are gone... you know, a friend. (a loved one)

I am hoping to diversify in ethnicity and cultures in this new year to come. I would love to hear new stories, strange and foreign to me and my thinking. I don't know how to do this but I will start by lingering and listening. There is the market in town owned by a family from the middle east. I am not sure where they are from but I would like to get to know them better. See if I can ask them some questions and listen.

I hope God will give me new friends this coming year that will make my heart bigger and soul more like Him. I am thankful for the ones I have now and attribute my love and faith to many of them (you). Peace.

No comments: