15 December 2003

What's up Chuck?

I read an editorial of Chuck Colson saying that the emergent church is dying. I couldn't figure out what that meant. Does he think that all of these people are just going to wake up one day and decide that the mainline denoms (if you change the n and m it spells demons) were right and we need to go back, sit down and shut up and except that they know better. I don't think so. I am with more people who are fed up with "church" and are looking for another place to go. They are not finding it in the souped up models with lights and glitz, the top-down models of leadership, the bland large Costco models of warehouse ministries, etc. The conversation comes down to house church fellowships: intimate times of vulnerability and prayer, family interactions, age and gender mixing, conversations leading to action instead of getting bogged down in committee, diversity of thought and culture instead of homogeneous cookie cutter veneer.

The main thing I am looking for is the presence of the Spirit in power and deed, equipping the saints to do His work with love and authority. I don't want entertainment. I don't want a different style. I want to focus on Him.

No comments: