21 September 2005

A friend who was my boss...

I would like to say something about Rick Harrison, the Executive Director of Calvin Crest, who is leaving to kick start some camps in Southern California, somthing he is very good at.

Rick and I first served together back in 1975 & 76, when we were in college and on staff as lead counselors. Rick then ran a new program called Out Post, which was for JrHighers because of full enrollment in the junior high program at the main camp, held in a public camp ground. I had much respect for Rick's laid back style of leadership and his high relational values of HOW we did program.

Our office at the new camp, was his van, our kitchen was a make shift refrigerator and campfire, our beds were the ground, and our community was forged by putting on this program for the first time. He let us have input because we all were doing this for the first time. It was great, we were very creative.

He became the program director a few years later with our dear, departed, friend Brad Durley. He served for a few more years in that position until he left to pastor a church in Northern California. In the early 1990's Rick was asked to come back as the Executive Director. The camp was in huge turmoil. It was in the midst of a drought and wells needed to be dug. The camp had lost its identity and the finances were dragging. People needed to be reminded of who Calvin Crest was, more than just what it was. Rick brought back a spirit of excitement again for the ministry. He discovered the camp was in debt, because of the drought and an embezzlement of a staff member. By faith, he followed that which needed to be done. And through some very incredible things that God did (some day I will tell you the story), Calvin Crest got out of a huge debt.

Rick, by faith, hired me. I had no camp leadership experience. Rick hired me. He heard God and was faithful and hired me. I had never programmed a camp but Rick saw the potential in me and gave me a shot. He kept me close and gave me encouragement as he corrected my decisions. Over the years Rick trusted what I felt God was saying to me about the program and it proved successful. Even when there were people giving him complaints, Rick was supportive and stuck with me. There were times we would disagree but I never felt I didn't have his support and friendship. Rick wanted to be a partner with me in ministry, not just my boss. He included me in decisions and listened to my opinion. His humor always took the weight off of the tough loads we carried through out our time together. I enjoyed the laughter that was found in his office during hard discussions.

And Ginny is an incredible woman of God with a financial understanding par excellant! When she came she was able to untangle the non-system to create one of order. Her insight into "what goes on here" will be extremely missed. Her love for Calvin Crest was evident as she worked long hours to make it all run smoothly. Ginny continually demostratated her quiet wisdom in meetings by giving her opinion that complimented ours and didn't compete with ours. Rick and I are very right brained and Ginny is a CPA. I tried to see the ministry through her eyes as often as possible. Ginny is an asset to any place she brings her mechanical pencil and her heart. That girl is smart!

I am confident of the job Rick is going to do in SoCal. He has an incredible ability to get things going. I will miss him and his wife Ginny but am extremely thankful for the time he entrusted me with his ministry at Calvin Crest.

God's speed, Rick...

No comments: