13 September 2005

Unto restoration...

On Saturday, Christel, Hillary, and I went to the car show at the park in Oakhurst. Small town, locals who work on vintage cars, showing them off to each other and to us appreciateers. There was some amazing cars, old one that people took great pride in restoring to the original specs and colors. Beautiful work, incredible craftmanship, detailing, nothing overlooked, even the glovebox had gloves in it from the era.

Hillary and I both loved an 1955 Austin-Healy 100. Fully restored. An older gentleman in his 70s was the owner and restorer. We made a fuss over it and he came up to take responsibility. Pride and confidence was on his face. We walked on and Hillary couldn't stop talking about it. We went back to get a picture of her with the car but the owner was driving off in it as we approached the spot where it was on display. He drove off in it. It wasn't on a trailer, he drove it. Wind whipping over his English cap and his smile as he shifted out of first gear. The engine sounded just like I remembered it when I was younger.

Sunday night, I preached from Matthew 8, where Jesus finishes the Sermon dela Montana and a leper comes up, bows before him and asks if He is willing to cleanse him. Jesus speaks healing words and the man is cleansed, tells him not to tell anyone, but to present himself to the priest as a testamony.

I thought a lot about Jesus words. The words of cleansing as well as the words of restoration. I think I only listen to the words of cleansing but ignor the instructions to health. I want to be driven by the master in a full state of restoration not on a trailer pulled. Testamony is dynamic, not underglass in a display case.

I need to spend more time with the priest, so that the words of restoration from Jesus would have as much an effect as did the words of salvation. I know I am saved, but I need to be restored... And then driven.

No comments: