09 July 2007

Conversations from under the blue...

I know I have said it many times but I love what I get to do. I get to sit and shepherd college age people. (I hate putting them with an adjective that they have to be college age, but when they are older they don't think much of me.) I get to have conversations with the future. I meet with them now outside at my office.

I use to meet with people off campus, we would hop in their car with an ice chest and beverages and sit in the middle of a forest, by a stream, or just down the road away from distractions and interruptions. Sometimes we talk of their futures, sometimes about their pasts, pray for their pain or confusion, sometimes we sit and talk about Jesus from their experiences and questions.

I met with our Activities Director, Jonathan, today and talked about his philosophy of programming, the church, music, and many other great things. I am really enjoying being with him this year. I have know him since he was a freshman at our high school camp many years ago. He just graduated from Gordan.

One of the activities that he did last night was a labyrinth and hand-washing. I drove up at around 10:00pm and saw on the "green" a wonderful sight of christmas lights in a formation and high schoolers walking meditatively through the maze. It was a delight to see and watch them experience it. When the students came up from the vespers to the green they were instantly quiet and in awe. It was great to see something that grabbed their attention.

I ask Jonathan what was he thinking when he designed it and he said, "Things need to have a bit of magic in it to make it meaningful..."

I like that.

7 comments:

Sean said...

it does my heart well to read this.

Bill Ekhardt said...

I like this. thanks for sharing that moment with us. I miss getting to see the staff in action. I hope to be a family camper next summer. Get to see the community practicing on the mountain again.

Deadmanshonda said...

oohhh...me too...thank you for sharing Tony.

Anonymous said...

mine heart is also fuller after reading this. le sigh, oh how i miss that office. my favorite office of all time.

Eric said...

I want to take more advantage of that office!

Annie said...

love it. and i still like you, even though i'm out of college :)

Anonymous said...

Tony,
I came up with a group of 6 high school students who have all been raised in the church. The labryinth became the first of many holy moments for my group. It immediately challenged them to realize who they are and who they were created to be. As the week progressed, particularily on Wed as we talked about global community, my girls tied the lessons and images seen in the labryinth, including how much stuff is enough and should we care from where or whom we buy stuff. Please thank the Crestview staff (I never got an eval) for all their hard work and inspiring holy moments with the Holy Spirit.-Mary