07 July 2007

One of my favorite days...

The Saturday after the Fourth of July, I treat the staff and friends to a BBQ. I am the Chief Barbequer. This year Dan and Suzanne Kimball and Steve Juarena came and started up the BBQ at 8:30am to cook Pork Butt and Beef Ribs slowly until 6:00pm. The Pulled Pork was incredible. Fell apart and was so flavorful. These friends know how to BBQ and love us. We are very blessed to have them work so hard for this dinner. It blesses the staff and me very much.

I made a Cactus Mango Sauce which turned out very good, and Josh Krane and Katelyn Anderson made a great sauce using Root Beer as its base. Josh Haas made a great potatoe salad, bread, and a wonderful vegetarian meal for 15 or 20 veggies that we have on staff. He also made a great cobbler with a bit of chili and a couple of other spices. Very good with a slight kick.

It is a lot of preparing for 45 minutes of consumption. But the smiles (with sauce on it) is worth the time.

I was missing a few messy faces from previous summers...

6 comments:

Jules Oldroyd said...

...always one of my favorite days as well. you know.
sean & i are glad to hear that josh made another sauce.

Cory PiƱa said...

Cactus. Mango.

Deadmanshonda said...

siighhh....miss the days. And will always love that Chief Barbequer story...

Geoff said...

my face missed the mess.

Bill Ekhardt said...

I remember a day something like this about 13 years ago. Dave and I took the staff out on Bass Lake for my birthday then got back up to camp and Bret Woods had BBQ'd for the staff. Those were sweet memories.

TonyB said...

Bill, that was the beginning of this whole thing. Bret gave me some mentoring in sauce building. And that was when we started the event. Thanks for bringing that memory back, except I wasn't invited to Bass Lake.