05 July 2005

We are trying to live the truth...

I think one of the things that I am trying to do with the staff up here at Calvin Crest is to live it out, not just talk it out. How does a ministry live it out. I don't think it is programmatic but relational. However in our programs we need to be relational. In the "Word" time we moved it to the morning. A little singing and then the teaching. It starts with me being honest and asking the students to be honest. NO Formulas! Tell the truth. Where are you in living out your beliefs. FAITH. And the students have been truthful. Great times of prayer from Sunday night. I am wonderfully surprised by the real life in these people. The other thing which is very important, it is not about me, the speaker. It is about the counselor and their camper. It is not a mass market approach it is a relationship.

Then we go from the morning Word time to small groups for them to talk amongst themselves. The staff facilitate the dialogue between the campers and the counselors. We don't teach, we let them learn. We want to give the Spirit room to work. This conversation last the whole day between camper and camper, and also the counselor.

At night, we gather for worship. And we let the camper tell stories of what God did that day. And we celebrate. It is not always about my story, but theirs. It is a different phenomenon. We have been trying this for a few days. I will let you know how it works.

No comments: