23 September 2006

Red-Letter...

I have been doing some thinking lately about the Red-Letter Christian (RLC) movement and the comments I received lately from many of you either through this blog or conversations and emails.
I am not that interested in jumping out of a denomination or a political party into another one just because there is a new movement afoot. I think the interesting thing is that people are growing tired of the denomination and political parties of today and freewheeling it and that is becoming a collective.

It seems the foundation of denoms and pol-parties are maintaining the control but not necessarily the mission. I look around and see that many of us are not doing things much different. Instead of listening to The Quiet Voice for direction we associate ourselves with larger groups who dictate the direction. We should be Quiet Voice christians, ones who listen to the One who has the plan...

Jeremiah 29:
11'For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.

12'Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.

13'You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.

14'I will be found by you,' declares the LORD, 'and I will restore your fortunes and will gather you from all the nations and from all the places where I have driven you,' declares the LORD, 'and I will bring you back to the place from where I sent you into exile.'

The Voice is driving us to places... sometimes into exile and sometimes into prosperity, but always to a hope and a future.

I don't disagree with the premise of RLC that not all evangelicals are identifying with the narrow concerns of the Right, and there are many issues to be considered today. Abortion is a concern, I am proLife, but to be pro life is to be pro life with the poor, marginalized, exploited, orphaned, aged, etc. I do not believe in same-sex marriages for a number of reasons but I do believe that those who find an trusting relationship in someone of their own sex should be loved by those of us who are Loved by the Lover of our Souls. We are to be lights on a hill in the world of God's love not lasers burning out sin in culture.

Should we vote with values? Yes.

More importantly we should live with values. Red-Letter values. Quiet Voice values.

Voting does not replace our civic duties to love. I vote and am appalled by the low turn out of voter. But I am more appalled by the high turn out of indifference in our society today.

A well placed moral bumpersticker will drive people farther from the Voice who loves their soul than a simple act of kindness and listening to the pain of people which drives them to immoral behavior.

I am tired of the Republicans and the Democrats, but mostly I am not impressed with either's heart. I tend more towards Republican's approach to smaller government and allowing business owners greater latitude in running their businesses without as much interference. I cannot say much about the Dem's ability for civil rights, I was a Dem and lost faith because they speak the right words but trip over themselves in making something happen. (I really don't want to argue these points) Dr. Howard Dean, Hillary Clinton and Nancy Pelosi irritate me by their harsh words, the Republicans bore me with their harsh actions and in-actions.

I agree with Micah. I am also concerned that the RLC may be like the Dems of the 60s with McGovern with a lot of words, albeit Red, but not the action needed. It isn't just political action needed today but individual action that will reach out to those The Voice is calling us to love. Love is an action here not a passive whatever feels good. Allowing the Truth to bring healing and stability into their lives. Not harsh judgement.

I cannot get behind another organization or person until I am inline with The Voice...

1 comment:

Eric said...
This comment has been removed by the author.