13 September 2006

"...Worms, Roxanne!"

I just got out of a CommonFIRE meeting where we introduced those who are new to the community to the why we have the program and the Outdoor School. I was reflecting back over the past 4 years of people that have been going through it and some of the complaints and "failures" that were brought to my chair.

Many of complaints were the same. "Why should a christian program run a program where they cannot mention the name of Christ to public school kids?"

Very dear friends left because they were frustrated over this. What kind of ministry cannot preach? It seems that they think that making disciple is solely an oratorial action. It is more a kinesetic action. I think it was Francis who said, "Preach the gospel always and when necessary use words." Jesus said depart from me because I never knew you. Then he explains the visitations of the hungry, thirsty, naked, imprisoned... not NOT once did he say you didn't preach. I think it is important that people know that we are following the way of Jesus Christ, but it is huge that we are doing what He is doing.

People watch our actions to see if they reflect our words. We love to spout of the gospel, yet to live it out is difficult. We give honor to those who study words, yet seldom acknowledge those who live it out.

I think I am going to put my actions where my mouth is. I have an idea...

I just wrote it out but erased it because I would rather do it than tell you about it.

4 comments:

on the Rock said...

I like where you are going with this, putting the Gospel of love in the deed...

TonyB said...

I am not sure what should concern us more. That people who believe in Christ and follow His teaching to live lives of the Kingdom, who are loving children like Jesus would but are not speaking "christian messages" OR christian organization never talking about being good stewards of His creation and building energy inefficient buildings and pave over grounds which only get used two hours a week. Stewardship?

I think we need to shut up more and let the trees shout out His glory while we are living out, witnessing His love and respecting that which He created - people and trees.

Michelle said...

Tony,

Keeping grist in the mill of faith is hard. You're good at massaging the mill and thoughtfully adding the grist. CommonFire somehow allows for all of the growing and discipleship without the t-shirt or the tagline. It's counter to the culture the church is just now figuring out it may not have wanted to adopt.

Concerning proclamation, the testimony of the hearts of people who have entered those gates under a variety of circumstances speak to this... and they speak about that to the Lover of our Souls. We may not ever know the effects of just creating a safe place for a kid for a week and the power that has in helping them think that there is Something out there that is beautiful, gracious, and redemptive. Who are we to qualify the imprint left by a God we can't quantify or control?

TonyB said...

well said...