10 September 2006

..."Those who love sausage and obey the law should not watch either being made."

I think part of my problem, and I think it is my problem, that I have been a part of the planning and execution (maybe a poor choice of words) of worship services for the past 30 years and heard a lot of complaints and opinions from people who aren't involved in the planning less alone the execution. (Although they have killed more times of worship than I would care to remember.)

When I was in college I use to make doughnuts. I wouldn't call myself a baker, but more of a maker. There was this great machine that would punch out the dough into a ring onto a conveyor which would send it through a process of rising and frying and cooling before it was dipped into the chocolate or maple or sugar by Loretta my partner in late night doughnutry. I would make sure that the machine was kept stocked with dough for the right amount of doughnuts to be made for the general public and more importantly for the Fort Ord Military base on the Monterey Peninsula. I felt my job contributed to the protection of our great country and some other countries who really didn't want us there but loved the commerce the armed forces brought to the economy. (Kind of like the Yosemite tourons (tourists) in Oakhurst - we can't stand their driving but they keep my kids employed at the espresso drive-thru.)

Sometimes the doughnuts would fall off the conveyor and get trapped on the bottom where I would have to clean it out at the end of the shift. The amount of grease in a cold doughnut was sickening. I would squeeze a one periodically and be repulsed by the grease. I started questioning whether it was right to feed these to the public and definitely was it the best thing for our military? A moral dilemma. Was this the best nutritional meal for people? Was I somehow contributing to the heart disease of our people?

Well, don't worry about it, it is only a doughnut, for Christ's sake. It is only a good tasting quick snack. I wouldn't call it a meal. It does bring a good feeling when you eat it, especially with coffee. There are plenty of other problems that are causing worst karma, and people need to eat, don't they? Don't worry about it and add some coconut or sprinkles on it, its fun and the kids love it!!

I don't know why this made me think of worship...

3 comments:

Grant said...

The problem with our worship (through music) today, is just that. "Worship" has been something that has become confined to musical limitations, which so happens to be what American citizens are excellent critics of. We lose sight of the effort, the substance, the donut if you will, and criticize the toppings. We are content with living with just the toppings, we really could care less about the meat of the matter below it. We have become a people who are consumed with Consumer Lifestyle, rather than being people who are called, and in turn, in actuality consumed with the Adoration of God.

Cory PiƱa said...

The problem with this post is that you're missing the ellipsis.

TonyB said...

Thanks Cory... I added the ellipsis... I thought the doughnuts would count as the ellipsis...