07 October 2006

A driver's license...

This week my youngest daughter Hillary got her driver's license. She waited until she was eighteen and passed with flying colors. She has more confidence today than she did at 16 which, I think, was why she waited.

As a dad, I realize that I am finishing up a lot of duties with Hillary getting a driver's license. I took all the kids to the DMV to get them and sat in the waiting room while the DMV guy, who rarely smiled, got in our car and took them through the paces.The kids left a awkward smile, showing a mixture of fear, grief, confidence, and a certain look in their eyes like "this is the beginning of freedom! They would come back in with a muted smile and look at me and I would give them an inquiring glance and they would nod so as not to get too excited for such an austere place. But when we walked outside with the paper declaration of freedom we would hug and the smile would explode on their faces as sigh of relief came from their DNA, "they passed!!!" I would take them back to school and they would then want to borrow the car for whatever was happening that night.

She was the last one. Next time I am waiting like that at the DMV will probably to see if Christel or I pass the driver's test because we are too old and starting to get confused on the road and are seeing a lot of people giving us the finger.

1 comment:

Geoff said...

I loved the comment at the end. I am pretty sure that I laughed out loud...yeah...I did. Congrats to Hillary though.