22 October 2006

A Surprising...

I spoke at a men's conferences this weekend, for 1st Presbyterian Church, San Luis Obispo and Community Presbyterian Church, Cambria, at a conference center called Camp Ocean Pines in Cambria. Small intimate group of men, mostly engineers and other highly developed left side of the brain and what I also found was a highly developed heart.

I loved these guys and they loved me. Not sure they knew what to do with me at first but conversations around the dining table and to and from the meeting rooms were soul quenching. I am always anxious at men's conferences, might be because of some past issues and scars, but each time I gather and allow myself to be vulnerable I find them willing to open up and give me a place in their circle. I heard some of their wonderful stories during the small group times which followed my talks.

These were good men, many retired, ready to laugh, ready to hang out, and very open to the spirit.

I thought I would love to hang out in their churches, then realized that I am sure there are some excellent men at my church, if I would just give them a chance.

It was especially great to see Brian, Scott, and Josh from CalPoly, who I got to serve with this summer. They came to the conference as gave me a lot of encouragement. They are always a blessing to me in their encouragement, hard work, they're funny and extremely bright. Deep faith and love for the Savior and the church. Thanks for being there guys and for the photo...

3 comments:

Geoff said...

I miss those three.

Michelle said...

I'm glad it was good... I miss them too.

on the Rock said...

Very cool scenery! Sounds like a very blessed time of fellowship!