09 January 2007

More than a resolution...

This past year has taught me a lot about my position. It is easy to make people mad, but harder to give them something that benefits their lives. That takes work, thought, prayer, discernment, and understanding... time. It is easy to tell people what to do, it is harder to show them how to do it and be patient with them until they are proficient at it. Pretty easy to touch people's funny bone and make they laugh, much harder to get into their heart and soul and give them something to consider and ruminate.

I tend to react, quick conversations that deal with the issue, but not the heart. Fix it, not change it. Look, not see.

I also take too much responsibility for the issues that really aren't mine. People have to start speaking up, instead of speaking behind the back. It is in the speaking up and taking responsibility that people become great. I don't want to bury my head in the sand, but I can't fight battles that aren't mine. Until they are mine, I seem like someone with a chip on my shoulder.

I am excited about some new ideas and tactics. One is loving people enough to confront the behavior, listen to the heart, and walking with them as they desire to change. If they don't want to change... it is not my rock.

1 comment:

Dakota House said...

And we--both of us and at our age--are still learning and growing, aren't we? This is a good thing. A good and hopeful thing.