10 August 2007

An "A Hole"

One of the AIMers (AIM is a two week discipleship program for high schoolers who also help out with some of the work at CC) was talking about "the bald, fat, guy who is a real A Hole..." I then heard about it through the grapevine and was not surprised by it all.

I am an A Hole. I have to make decisions that tend to give people that impression. I had to make a decision whether this young man should come to AIM at the last minute and could we scholarship the whole thing. I had to make another decision whether or not to send home one of the other AIMers who wasn't showing up for work and when he did he sat around wasn't much help.

I tend to light in relationships and move on to the next issue or problem. I don't have much time to hang with too many people. I am not complaining, at all. It was interesting to hear someone who after one small encounter summed up what many have thought with a lot more time invested.

I choose coordinators with as little as 4 hours of conversations and intimacy. I watch and listen to people and also to what others trust that person with. What decisions have they made and what was the outcome. Who do they trust. I have to trust many people. I have to trust my instincts. And most important, I have to trust that I am hearing the Small Voice. Sometimes I am wrong, which heighten the potential of being the A Hole.

I introduced myself to him this morning at his evaluation so next year during his interview for staff, we won't have to bring that up and his potential can be seen unhindered...

6 comments:

Eric said...

You were well received this morning by him. Thank you.

Cosby said...

I am rather fond of you, even if Ryland has more hair than you...
Laura

Bill Ekhardt said...

I'm glad I never called you an A-hole, Tony. And I didn't think you were an A-hole, either. I do remember cutting off Rick Harrison on the way up to Calvin Crest because I was late for a team meeting and he was going slow and wouldn't let me pass.... That was an awkward afternoon.

I'm fond of you too, Tony, and I'm glad I got a few more than four hours with you over the years.

TonyB said...

Me too, Bill. Email and tell me when you are coming.

Anonymous said...

Hey, what happened to the comments about Rick Harrison. You should stand by what you write.

TonyB said...

Oh mom...