17 August 2007

This last week...

Last weeks are always interesting at camp.
Some check out and quit working or begin an attitude (what are you going to do, fire me with only a few days left? Yep!).
Some put in a lot of extra time with each others to make sure they can make it through the Autumn without each other's company.
Some begin to try different things to make the program more interesting for them and the campers.
Some get that look in their eyes to what is going to happen next in their life.
A few want to talk about next year and tell me of their interest in a particular position.
A few others come to tell me they were mad at me for something I said, or they heard I said.
Many come up to me and ask how I am doing? "Are you looking forward to next week?"

No, I am not. I find I am at my best for these 10 weeks and like who I am. I am around some delightful people who are going to make a mark in the world as they have this past summer. We laugh a lot during these 10 weeks. We have deep discussions that influence each other. The worship is wonderful and the stories of the Kingdom are redemptive. Change happens in the lives of people who just graduated from high school, just 10 weeks ago, as they worked hard and accomplished much. They served food, cleaned up after, built and rebuilt facilities, registered, prayed for, medically cared for, and listened to a couple thousand young people these past 10 weeks.

I watched the Spirit create clean hearts, eager hands, inquiring minds, opened eyes, healed hearts. Souls that were lost became found because someone took the time to listen and lay on their hands in love, instead of running off to the movie theatre. Fears were stared in the face as these people climbed a tree for the first time or asked for forgiveness after making a terrible mistake.

I watched leaders being formed and people truly begin to follow Christ on their own. Some were uncertain about what they believed because they have been following what was handed to them and they did not want to pass on anything that was not true.

I know this may be the last time I see some of these staff people and next year there will be some new ones I have yet to love (or piss off). Working relationships developed over the past few years suddenly change to friendships that will last for the next 20 years, I hope.

I really like this staff.

4 comments:

Eric said...

I hope too

Nick said...

I think I counseled one of your staff members when he was at Miwok. I'm too young to feel old!

P.S. I know how you feel.

Bill Ekhardt said...

Pretty staff picture. My regards to your photographer.

Bill Ekhardt said...

My last year on staff the Miwokers I counseled were eligible to join me on staff.

Age has a way of sneaking up on you.