12 February 2004

Good to be Home...

Well the plane flights were without incident. No delays, some good conversations, wonderful service, good landings, mint cookies. Except for the person who flatulated somewhere over the Nevada/California line, it went well. There is nothing like getting off a plane, walking down the corridor to the carousel and seeing your luggage on a parade before you. Picking them up as you walk by and heading towards your car without incident. That happened last night. I am heading for the car and realize I left my wallet and book on the plane, in the pocket where they conveniently store the barf bag and Sky Mall Magazine. (which by the way is a great invention - I am talking about the pocket, and yes the barf bag.) So feeling like an idiot I wait in line to talk to the lost luggage woman. The woman in front of me is chewing her out for the company's lack of professionalism to miss place her luggage. She is getting louder about how the president of Delta airlines is going to hear about this!!! (I am sure there is a hired person to only deal with the issue of lost luggage.) I am not sure what to say when it is my turn to walk up - except, "I am sorry you have to listen to this." I then explain my stupidity to her and tell her that I made the mistake, the airline was great and if it would make her feel better I would write a letter to the president telling him or her that this is my mistake and I am definitely not professional in the getting my act together department when deplaneing. This poor woman was so used to being yelled out she couldn't comprehend that I wasn't yelling at her. Why do we yell out people who had no responsibility in the mistake?

When a mistake is made a new economy begins. A new order happens. It is like the game chutes and ladders, you have to get off the route you want to go on and slide down some new chute to rectify the mistake. People are deployed (I like using that word, I try to use it once a day), paperwork filled out, systems activated. Crucifixion is imminent. Someone pays...

She called plane people and they told her it was already being taxied to the hanger for cleaning. She said it may take some time. It did, about a hour. But the nice airplane guy came walking up with my wallet and my book, Big Fish (which is a great movie and an even better book). I hear Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah playing as I gather my stuff and begin to head out. I walk by the lost luggage woman, who is now getting yelled at by another irate customer. I interrupt the customer in mid rant and thanked the lost luggage woman for her diligence and care for me during the last hour. No expression. Lord Jesus, change us, forgive us for treating our brothers and sisters like this.

I am thankful for my job where I don't have to have people yelling at me for the lost of baggage.

No comments: