03 February 2004

It is snowing again...

Well, yesterday driving home from camp, it started to snow, which was beautiful. It started with rain, then corn, then flakes. My tires aren't the best, I have more tread on my bald head! I had it in 4 wheel drive, first gear, headlights on, hands at ten and two, 15 mph max. Then I started to slide. I saw the drop-off coming, closer, closer and then hello, I am twenty feet down the bank. Pretty steep and butted up against a tree, Cedar, with manzanita all around. Engine still running, music playing, heater heating, I said the obligatory words of lack of faith and got out. Was the car alright? I assumed so, no radiator smell, no air bag deployment, headlights still on. Could it be that I didn't total this one like I did with the other 2 cars I had?

I call Calvin Crest, talk to Deb Roope (whenever there is an emergency, I like having Deb there. Cool, calm, in control. She was a firefighter in her twenties. I trust her judgment and she is ready to laugh if needed.) she tells me Jonathan Capp will be deployed (she didn't say deployed I just like using the word) and should be there shortly. When I called back, Dave Davis said he had better come with the road grader and pull me out with that. I have a Montero SUV, kind of big (and destroys the environment) and he didn't feel like Capp's forerunner would be able to pull me out. He was right but I sat in Capp's car for a half an hour talking and waiting in the warmth of his car and charm. Dave shows up in the road grader looking like Madd Max, pulls out his chain, and with Capp's help, attaches it to my car and slowly pulls me out. Not a dent on my car, no broken lens (which cost more than the car to replace), nothing. I drive towards home but have to wait another 3 hours until the CHP opened up Deadwood (the pass on highway 41).

I left Calvin Crest at about 3:00p and made it home at 8:00p, where we watched the video of Groundhog Day, one of our traditions of the new reformation.

It is good to still be with you.

No comments: