09 February 2004

Still in Spokane...

This has been an interesting part of the journey. I met with Randy Brothers, a youth pastor at First Pres, Spokane, Rob Fairbanks, pastor of New Community, and then my old friend Keith Beebe, a former pastor of a Presbyterian church here in Spokane now a full professor at Whitworth. These guys are near my age. Last night I saw Steve and Jamie Hart, these are youngins, a pastor to the youth of New Community. Great people.

I really enjoyed the fellowship of believers with these guys. I was encouraged, embraced, and corrected. A real fellowship. With my conversation with these people and, in Denver, with Mike Sayers of Scum I am being more convinced the church is moving towards the intimacy of small groups. My wife, Christel, and I both have a sense of God calling us to move in this direction. There is concern that we need to be involved with a larger body but our life will grow from a smaller group. I have been around too many people who are talking in the same direction to dismiss thisas just a fad. More importantly, in my quiet time, I am hearing God speak the same words as these guys. I am also hearing it from Laura Cosby and her husband Cosby Cosby. I watch George Freeman, who is 50 today, and his group of people praying together every Tuesday night experience this thing that many are just talking about.

The difficulty is what do we do? We are so accustomed to programmed time in churches that to meet with a small handful and be vulnerable to the Spirit in front of each other there is a high possibility of failure. The funny thing, er, sad thing is that I am not sure I could identify success. Success is not feelings, numerical growth, marked progress through the scriptures, leaders developed, cookies served, or coffee consumed.

I was in a hotel yesterday and there was a small body meeting there. I am sitting in the Starbucks down the street from Whitworth and there are four women meeting together and are now praying over their caramel macchiato, ice water, freshly brewed coffee (Sumatra if I'm not mistaken) and Tazo tea. They have been laughing, whispering, and sharing intimately the entire time I have been blogging and drinking my decaff-venti-sugarfree vanilla-breve-latte. I envy their time. They share and pray, share and pray. Scriptures read, more prayer. Wow. There is an empty seat next to them, I am sure Jesus is sitting with them. He promised.

Isn't it interesting that Jesus said whereever two or more are gathered and agree on anything, He is there. Small groups! Intimate gatherings. Love between friends and bringing our cares and joys to the Father, through one another and through Jesus Christ our mediator. I like the idea of talking to a saint to pray for us to the Father. I am thankful for the saints around me that I see on a regular basis, some daily, some weekly, some annually, but all eternally.

Please pray that I get some sleep tonight, I have been getting about 3 hours each night on this trip.

His...

No comments: