16 February 2004

The Passion...

I have a little fear. Nothing big just a thought.

Here it goes...

Will the movie, The Passion, cause people to fall in love with Jesus or will it only make them fall in love with a movie version of Jesus. Does the movie or the Holy Spirit inspire love for our beloved savior and which will last. I have been a christian for the past thirty-one years and have seen different movies, recording artists, presidents, actors, and other events all bring Jesus to a favorable light and people thought it was cool to like Jesus, but in the long run they didn't follow Him. I remember thinking it was great that Bob Dylan became a believer. That lasted 6 months. When President Jimmy Carter was elected and told people he was born again, being born again was cool. Different movies did the same thing. Chariots of Fire and others lasted a half a year, but it always ended up that I had to follow Jesus in season and out (high ratings or none).

I am not trying to play the devil's advocate here, I hate that term and am uncomfortable with people when they say that, but I think it doesn't help our faith when we get excited by external acceptance. The gospel comes from the revelation by the Spirit, not from a presentation. God can use this movie and I am sure he will, but will they find the same passion in the church. Do we seek to have the passion by asking Him for it when we don't have it, do we remember his love and sacrifice and bend a knee out of sheer thankfulness or do we rely on movies, tapes, songs, blogs, and other external tools?

I am impressed with the interviews with Mel Gibson, his faith is real, not polished, and he risks being labeled a baffoon by his answers of faith. I am excited that this movie will come out soon and that many will hear the story for the first time in its non-Christmas pageant format. I pray that God would be glorified and Mel will be blessed for his obedience to produce it at the price he paid.

I hope this makes sense.

No comments: