26 February 2004

When the rain came...

It is absolutely pouring outside. I LOVE IT. Time to read, drink soup, light candles, make a fire, eat buffalo wings.

I love buffalo wings. I am working on my own recipe. I know all it takes to make it is to add butter to Franks Hot Sauce and stir it in the fried wings. But I want more. I make my sauce my way. I add garlic. I add a little worcestershire sauce, and a little more cayanne pepper. I am not usually a buffalo wing kind of guy. It isn't the guy part of it that I like. But I like the sauce.

Sauces are the difference between fast food and gourmet. Between 1st class and coach. Box seats and grandstands... It is the blending and fusion of different ideas and purposes into a cohesive unit. To me, the meat, whether chicken, steak, pork, or spam, is only the vehicle with holds the sauce. It is important that it is a good cut of meat, but the sauce is the embellishment of the event. The deal maker.

I like to lavish sauce on. It needs to get into every thing. Fudge on a sundae, marmalade on an English muffin, hollandaise on a Benedict, it doesn't matter. Lavish it. Lose touch with the main food group be in touch with the sauce. It needs to get on your shirt or blouse (if you are a woman and you know who you are). Lavishing does that. It is messy, not refine. It is grand not controled. Laddled not spooned. Passion at it full understanding with a hint of abandonment. Kramer. Giddy up.

Sauces need to talk to your tongue. It should be in constant communication with the various taste sensor located through the organ, which is often overlooked. Julie made a buffalo sauce today that was marching like solders going to war. It had purpose, it was intentional. I like it. It brought wonder back in my life. Sauces should do that. It should make you stop to taste it and listen to your soul. "What is it" should be echoing thoughout your mind. It should be liturical of sorts. Moving from one experience to another.

A good sauce is more precious than box seats at a David Bowie film festival. I had a good week.

No comments: